Saturday, January 27, 2007

Ride before the freeze



Super nice out on Friday. Dumped the panniers on the Trucker and went for a spin. Starting at mi casa I headed over to the Keystone heading south. Word to the wise - don't go across the Northern most bridge by FDR... trail's only clear on the EAST side. Do I get first (bike) tracks there?

Winds were making it a quick trip down to 370. FAST. Turned around and went 1/2 speed immediately upon facing the wind. Burr. Didn't don the thermal tights - just the shorts and leg warmers. Big mistake. About 2 miles into the wind, my junk started freezing up under pressure of the wind. Pain. A new kind of "special" pain. I didn't want any more of that but had about 12 miles to go until inside warmth.

So, after weighing which appendage was more important, I took off my left glove and stuffed it down below. Ahhhh.... that did the trick. Still... the ride left my hand pretty chilly, so I stopped by my pops' for a couple of beers and a warm up before finishing up the last few miles. I also borrowed a towel to stuff instead of using the glove.

BRR ride's next weekend - Who's in?

1 comment:

LvilleTex said...

Damn Straight! I'd sacrifice a hand before that too. Man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.